Wednesday, 14 March 2018

Openning a DoOO

As part of my Extend East participation, I've been sharing with others through the #oextDaily tweets. I've created a couple of blog posts and linked them into the Ontario Extend Bank. I've been reading and creating while learning and building connections from content to knowledge. Yesterday I went another step into extending and created my domain.

While I've already got two domains that are mine - hjdewaard.com is my Weebly domain and FiveFlames4Learning is my Wordpress domain, this is where I hopefully will migrate and create a 'super domain' to connect them all under one location. Not sure how that is going to happen, but for now, I'm taking advantage of the eCampus Ontario offer to have my domain hosted by Reclaim Hosting. I've claimed a domain that is unique - hjdewaard.ca is now mine and only mine. Here I will craft my launch into a new digital identity.

After looking at many other digital spaces listed in the Ontario Extend Domain of One's Own documentation, and reflecting on my own unique style, I'm deciding to go with a launch space that builds from the primordial metaphors from David Thornburg's Campfires in Cyberspace. These have resonated with me over the years and as I was grappling with this last night, I can neatly fit the digital work I've done, am doing, and will be doing, into these metaphors.

In the next few days, I'll try to craft with care, knowing that this is a beginning and that one space to rule them all will not necessarily mean that all the others will end. My work on the blog site Five Flames for Learning will continue but I can collect and share all the multiple blog spaces I've created over the years under the hjdewaard.ca domain.

I am open to the challenge of Domain of One's Own. It's a chance to reframe my digital identity and reshape my digital persona.